Smoke, fat, meat and salt: the usual protagonists of barbecues are not the best friends for your health, but there are some beneficial ways to minimize the impact by choosing foods well and refining techniques.
Neither bicycles nor seasonal love surpasses them: few things are more summery than barbecues. This fact solidly demonstrated by applying on the subject related to the universal law of Dann’s peers (the great Georgie Dann). If any element is a part of the title of a sticky “summer song”, there is nothing more to talk. On the other hand, nutritionists are the new priests – there are no noses to tell me about the face – you will already be imagining that you have not come here and made Latin pop rhythm with grilled sausages up and the carafe wine down.
Because they allude in the first place to the ingredients, therefore, raw materials that typically associated with the concept, and culinary technique due to the source of heat. Moreover, there is a risk of generating a series of very undesirable compounds (especially if what we roast is meat or fish).
We must not forget the associations with other consumer products, although they do not correctly pass through the grill. On the other hand, we mean that they are alcoholic beverages or soft drinks that sweetened. Besides, the use of salt is another minimum common denominator of any barbecue parties.
Raw materials and ingredients typical of barbecues
Many foods used on a barbecue, but we must be honest and recognize that meats – especially red meat and meat derivatives are the most typical ones. You can grill fish, vegetables, even fruits, but the usual thing in this context is the carnauba and its associates.
We think that almost all of us remember the hard positioning of WHO for the meat sector when it reported in November 2015. The consumption of red meat considered in group 2A that is probably as a carcinogen for humans, and the consumption of derivatives meat in group 1, which is the one in which those products, energies or substances that have revealed carcinogens meet. However, none of that has changed and led to the main protagonist of barbecues is still in the same scenario. Therefore, if you want to delve deeper into the matter, we will tell you something more about the relationship established by science between meat and cancer in this article.
Regardless of the ingredients we use, it is true that with certain products, there is a higher probability than with others. In the barbecue process, two families of compounds generated to the increased risk of cancer. We refer heterocyclic amines (AHC) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) for you in this case.
On the other hand, you should know that AHCs characteristically formed when amino acids – units that make up proteins, carbohydrates and other substances found in muscles such as creatine or react with each other by exposing them to high temperatures. Also, PAHs generated when the fat and juices of food that are roasted directly on a hot surface or fire drip producing flames and smoke. That smoke contains PAH adheres to the surface of the food (this is why they presented in other culinary processes such as smoking).
Regarding the presence of these two elements in our lives, it said with doubt that the first (AHC) are not found in significant quantities in other contexts than food cooked at very high temperatures. PAHs can be found significantly in cigarette smoke or the explosion engine, especially smoked foods).
Studies in animal models offer no doubt about the carcinogenic effect of these substances. Still, it is necessary to recognize that these animals normally given doses that far exceeded the others. Besides, the demographic or observational studies have not established a definitive connection between exposure AHC and HAP cancer for humans.
One of the possibilities would explain this degree of uncertainty is the result of knowing that there is a certain interpersonal variability in the way of both AHC and HAP. They can affect each person based on various genetic variants. However, there are quite a few well-designed studies in which taking into account the possible confusing elements that could alter the final results. It found that high consumption of roasted, fried or barbecued meats was associated with an increased risk of suffering different types of cancer (especially colon, pancreas and prostate).
The issue of food safety not overlooked. The risk factors are like we are in summer, temperatures are higher, and food sometimes consumed away from the kitchen. Also, some foods are consumed half raw, unfinished and eaten outdoors with a lower chance of washing our hands or giving a decent mop to the utensils. Therefore, food to infections occur every year in summer, and now it is highly recommended:
– Be attentive to the entire cold chain of all products transported under refrigeration, as well as leftovers that are going to be used and properly preserved.
– Bring a dry hand sanitizer which does not need water. You should use it before preparing food and eating.
– Take precautions with foods that are considered especially perishable: dishes or sauces made with dairy products such as butter and cheeses, or dishes contained mayonnaise, the meal with egg (especially if it is in raw or undercooked).
Keys to preparing a healthier barbecue
In truth, we can also get bored if we do not know how to get out of the jackpot, horse and king, or grilled sausages, grilled sausages or lamb chops. If you are aware of health issues, we suggest that you take note of these healthy and appetizing tips to make your barbecues efficiently.
– It seems too obvious, but it is necessary to say: minimize the time in the environment of the grill breathing or the smoke it produces. From that, it will minimize the risk of ending up smelling like the barbecue.
– Many of the toxic substances produced when the dripping of fat and other elements fall on the coals are very harmful to your health. For this reason, it recommended that before roasting factors such as visible fat and skin removed.
– Although I am aware that not all products may benefit from this advice, some foods may be pre-cooked or briefly pre-cooked before grilling. It will reduce your exposure time (something crucial when it comes to carcinogenic risk). For this same reason, use small pieces that require less roasting time.
– Turn products over the grill frequently. According to some research, this custom helps to prevent the formation of HCA, but do it without drilling them, since you will avoid releasing juices that end up dripping on the coals. Therefore, use tweezers or spatulas instead of forks.
– Remove blackened, charred or scorched parts before serving food.
– In addition to the classic meat, cheer up with grilled vegetables and fruits, the possibility of forming AHC and PAH is infinitely less than with meats and their derivatives. With an excellent cutting edge technique and respecting the roasting times, there is hardly vegetable or fruit resists.
– Do not forget to marinate food before roasting. Some research suggests that adequate marinade with marinades rich in antioxidant elements such as herbs, spices and the use of some fermented beverages such as different types of wine or beer reduce the formation of AHC and PAH.